This recipe for poached pears with pecan granola and miso ice cream is the latest in a monthly series of recipes I have created in association with Suma Wholefoods.
In these recipes, I use products from Suma’s extensive range of organic and ethically sourced products, and the recipes appear both here on my blog and on the Suma website.
I first encountered miso ice cream just a couple of months back at a restaurant in Bristol and immediately decided I had to make a vegan version.
Here it is, the bitter sweet umami tones of the miso ice cream beautifully offsetting the sweet poached pears and the crunchy granola. The recipe is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and utterly delicious.
poached pears with pecan granola and miso ice cream
for the granola
150 g rolled oats75 g pecans, roughly chopped
40 g sunflower seeds
40 g pumpkin seeds
50 g dried apricots, chopped
50 ml coconut blossom syrup
30 g coconut oil½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
1. First make the ice cream. Pour the coconut milk and coconut blossom syrup into a blender. Add the miso paste and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn. Once it has started to set, tip the ice cream out into a freezer proof container. Cover the container with a lid and freeze for at least 4 hours. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and leave to stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
2. Next make the granola. Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (300°F, gas mark 2). Place the oats, chopped pecans sunflower seeds and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the coconut blossom syrup and sea salt to the melted coconut oil and stir until the salt has been absorbed. Pour this mixture over the oats, nuts and seeds in the mixing bowl. Stir to combine, then tip this mixture evenlly onto a shallow baking tray and place in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until golden, giving the tray a gentle stir every so often to encourage even cooking. Remove the granola from the oven, place in a clean mixing bowl and leave to cool. Stir in the chopped apricots.
3. For the poached pears, peel the pears and slice a thin amount from the bottom so that they can stand up. You can also carefully core the pears if you wish. Pour the grape juice and coconut blossom syrup into a large pan. Add the star anise, cinnamon, vanilla pod and lemon juice. Finally add the pear halves. Place the pan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and poach the pears gently for 20 minutes, or until just tender. Leave the pears to cool in the liquid for 15 minutes then carefully remove from the pan.
4. Remove and discard the spices, then increase the heat under the pan of cooking liquid and boil for fifteen minutes or until it has become thick and syrupy. Remove from the heat and set to one side to cool.
4. to serve, place a poached pear upright on each plate. To the side place a small mound of granola, and top this with a scoop of the miso ice cream. Finally, drizzle some of the cooking syrup around each plate.